Monday, April 14, 2008

Carbs Anyone?




Those of you who know me know that I have had a weight problem almost my whole life. When I got pregnant, I had to really be careful about how much weight I gained, and my doctor told me to shoot for 20 pounds. Check! I gained 18 pounds, and had an 8 pound baby. That weight was gone almost instantly. Since going on Vemma and having my thyroid surgery, I have lost a pretty considerable amount of weight. However, I have hit a plateau. Those of you who have ever tried to lose weight know exactly what I am talking about. Thus, I need to modify what I am eating.

I have decided to go low-carb. Not NO CARB...being a biology teacher and including a huge nutrition unit, I will never cut out all carbs because they are oh so imporant for your body. Whole wheat bread, the right fruits, oatmeal, etc. The good carbs that my body needs I will keep.

Here's the problem...I'm not a big meat or veggie person. I've also heard that those who are on low-carb diets get bored pretty easily. Before I start this journey, I'd like to arm myself with some great low-carb recipes. New chicken dish? New way to use ground beef? I'm all ears! If you have any great dishes that are easy (I work full time, teach piano, and chase a little 9 month old), I beg of you to share! You can post them as a comment, or email me (franklinmrs01@yahoo.com). You all are the best!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Tary this! We love it and it sooo good! You can sub a light sour cream, and a light cheese! Enjoy!
~Sarah Thompson

Creamy Black Bean Salsa Chicken

2 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup salsa
1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
1 package taco seasoning
½ cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheese

Place chicken in greased 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker. Pour broth, salsa, corn, beans, and taco seasoning over chicken. Cover and cook on low heat 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Remove chicken with slotted spoon and place on serving dish. Stir sour cream and cheese into sauce in slow cooker, then pour over chicken. Makes 3-5 servings.

Serve with warm flour tortillas and Spanish rice.

* From 101 More Things To Do With A Slow Cooker by Stephanie Ashcraft and Janet Eyring.

Carlie said...

don't click on the above link, it's a virus

Johnson-n-Johnson said...

We make shish-kabobs A LOT! You cut up chicken, bell peppers (we get red and orange) zuchini, and squash. Mix it in a little olive oil, and cook on the grill. Make brown rice (healthier) or whatever side you want. You get full on all the yummy stuff, and just eat a little of the carbs. GOOD luck!

Ren, Anna, & Tristan said...

This is a good Sunday one for the crockpot.

Crockpot black bean chili is made with apple juice for flavor.
INGREDIENTS:
• 2 cups water
• 1 cup apple juice
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
• 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
• 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 1/8 tsp. white pepper
• 2 onions, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chilies, drained
• 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 red bell peppers, chopped
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients except cilantro and cheese in 3-4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir in cilantro just before serving. Serve with Cheddar cheese for topping. 6 servings