Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Spoonful of Sugar


"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."

A "spoonful of sugar" means something different to everyone. For some, it's a Diet Pepsi in the morning. For others, it's a piece of chocolate. For others still, it's listening to their favorite childhood CD. Whenever there's a job to be done, there is always something you can do to help it go by a little better.

This morning, I looked at my to-do list for this week:
* Laundry (2 weeks worth because we were gone)
* More laundry (towels, sheets, etc.)
* Pack for our little anniversary getaway this weekend
* Make Primary Activity Day invitations for our Ward Primary Program practice next weekend
* Create a new seating chart for the primary program (because the one I originally made was turned upside down and inside out due to me not thinking that the tall kids should be in the back!)
* Grade for University of Phoenix
* Participate for University of Phoenix
* Weekly lesson for NAU
* Curriculum goals for POHS

So, I got started. I threw a load of laundry in the washing machine, took Sariah to preschool, came home, thought about doing the dishes in the sink, but decided to play instead. In between loads of laundry, I read, sang, and played with Emerson and James.

Naptime came, and I sat down at the computer to do my online work. But I could not focus (which is why I'm blogging instead of working!). My head was so full of all the things I need to do, that I just could not get my act together. But then a thought hit me - my thoughts were so cluttered because my working space was also cluttered. My living room floor was a mess - toys everywhere! I decided to take 10 minutes and pick up. I normally do this at the end of the day, with all the children helping. But because this isn't a typical week and I have so much to do, I decided to do it quick. I picked up everything, got a Diet Pepsi, and got to work. I could not believe how much work I got done once my work space was cleaned!

Now, I know that we don't want to put our family aside while we clean our home. But my evenings are so much better after I take 15 minutes with my family to pick up toys, put shoes away, and make sure dinner is put away. My day comes to a close, and I wake up refreshed with a clean slate (literally). So for me, today, my "sugar" was a clean living room floor. I hope you find yours as well!

3 comments:

bedonts said...

I know exactly what you mean! For me, if I vacuum my brown rug in my family room, I'm good! It's amazing what little things can make such a big difference!!

Wendy said...

you are my insperation in so many ways! I totally agree. If I get my tennis shoes on and put on some good music I can get so much done! Good luck with all you have to do!

annieareyouok said...

It's true ... a cluttered space clutters your brain ;) We have so much to do during the day that it's nice to have a nice, clean space to start the day off even if we have to do it ourselves. I get you, Amber ;)