Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Mother's Letter To Her Children

One of the things I admire about my mom is her ability to write.

She's eloquent.

She speaks her mind.

I love to read what she writes, and here's what she shared with her children yesterday (before Obama's declared victory):

Good Election Afternoon Everyone:

If you all will indulge me for a few minutes, I just want to share some of my thoughts with you. This is an historic day for many reasons and I feel very emotional at what is happening in our country.

I grew up in the 60's. I was in high school and college. I remember segregation. I remember lynchings. I remember sit ins. I remember the first black students who went to an all white high school in Alabama. I watched the news of the beatings and hate filled rhetoric. I listened to my father speak quietly about all people being entitled to an education, and to dignity.

I went to Tucson High School and rubbed shoulders with black classmates, Hispanic classmates, Asian (mostly Chinese) classmates. I remember the subtle forms of discrimination that occurred in my own high school, and I hated it.

Today, we are witnesses of an event that has and will change the course of American History. A black man is one of two candidates for President of the United States. This would have been absolutely unthinkable when I was a teenager. In 45 years, a short time as history goes, we have been able to overcome our disgraceful treatment of black citizens to the point where we might elect a black president. Regardless of whom you voted for or how you feel about the issues, this is an historic moment. You will tell your grandchildren about this day.

I know that I am in the minority in our family with regard to my politics. I am more moderate than the rest of you and in carefully weighing all the issues, and I did study them carefully, I chose to vote for Obama. I think it is important for us to be able to make choices that are different from one another and still know that our choices are part of our free agency. I don't want us to think we all have to be the same, think the same, vote the same, etc. I want there to always be a place in this family for each of us to search our own conscience and do what we think is best. That is what I did and I know that is what each of you did.

I also want us to be respectful of each other's choices. There are many right ways to be a good person, a good citizen, and a good member of the church. We can exercise our agency respectfully and differently and all be "right".

So, enjoy the election returns tonight, and remember that this is an historic night and one we all will remember for the rest of our lives. We live in a great country that is currently facing enormous challenges. Our new president will need our prayers and our support.

Love, Mom


Well said, mom. Well said.

1 comments:

Jason and Amy said...

your mom is awesome. i know her and my mom are political buddies :)