Thursday, January 15, 2009

Decided

Decided. I have made a decision what to do regarding my birthing options. Here is how my conversation went yesterday with my doctor:

Me: Dr. Hutchison, I have a few more questions for you. I'm still trying to decide what to do!

Doc: I am so glad you are putting so much thought in to this. I'll try to help.

Me: You know I want a natural birth, and part of that being a success is getting up and moving around. If I deliver in the hospital, do I HAVE to have an IV? Is it hospital policy for me to have one? Can I hydrate myself while I'm in labor?

Doc: Nope. You do not have to have one. The nurses automatically put one in, so please don't be afraid to ask them not to. However, you do have to have the port (access). In case something happens and you need anything given through an IV, it needs to be set up and ready to go. Please hydrate all you want.

Me: Awesome. What about those annoying belly monitors?

Doc: Nope, you don't have to have those either. We have an intermittent monitoring policy where we will check the baby's heartrate with a Doppler monitor. In the event that you are not progressing, we will put a contraction monitor on you to see what's going on. However, you can request a WIRELESS (!!!) one so you may still get up and move around.

Me: Uh-huh, I see. What about wearing those silly hospital gowns? Do I have to labor in those or can I be in something different of my choice?

Doc: They are silly and gross, huh? No, you may be in whatever you like...preferably with no bottoms. If you'd like to be in a bikini top, which some mothers prefer, or a tank-top, go right ahead.

Me: I'm liking your answers! Now, what about delivering on my back? I have heard of a couple doctors around town that won't deliver you unless you're on your back. I have also researched and found that delivering a baby while on your back is the most painful way to do so. What are your thoughts on that?

Doc: Amber...do you really think I have that policy? (smiling) I will deliver you in any position that is most comfortable for you. If you want to be on your hands and knees, great. If you want to squat, I'll be right there under you. If something isn't working, I will give you suggestions. Your research was correct - giving birth lying down is difficult, without an epidural. Please give birth in any position you would like.

Me: Thank you for being patient with me and helping me through this.

Doc: You are welcome. Here's a tip: When you get to the hospital, ask for a nurse that specializes in natural delivery.

So...she answered all my questions wonderfully. I can get up and move around, I don't have to have an IV, I'll have a nurse to help me through it, and I can give birth in other positions. Thus, I have decided to stay with my beloved doctor. I really do love her, and I want her to deliver this baby. She is amazing and I'm very happy!!!

5 comments:

Carlie said...

that is great news amber. i'm so pleased to hear the options! i'll have to keep that in mind.

Jessica said...

That is great news! Now I'm sure you can put that part of it to rest now and not worry about until the time comes! :)

Adrian said...

Is your doctor at Copperstate? I go there and love them! I have a couple friends who are really into the Bradley Method and love it. This sounds exactly like something you would like as well. You should check into it! So looks like I'll be having my baby on Sunday! I think I'll have more opinions after actually giving birth! Wish me luck!

Emily said...

I love Dr. Hutchison. She is the greatest. I definitely want her delivering this one too.

Miss Brandy said...

Sarah's friend here!...I'm stalking again! WONDERFUL choice. Have you talked to Sarah? She let me stalk her deliveries (I'm a serial stalker. I let her stalk my hearings and sealings). They were awesome. She has incredible info. She did hypnobirthing.