Tuesday, May 26, 2009

You've got to be kidding me...

I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Well...at least I like to THINK I do.

For example - my freshman year in college, I was a pedestrian hit by a car. No permanent damage to anything, but I did have a pretty messed up right leg, and left knee. It wasn't until after being in the hospital for about 6 hours that I finally asked for pain medication, and the shot of morphine to my hip was amazing.

When my backpain started to become more than I could bear, I questioned my super-hero power. Was I being a wimp? How bad was the sciatica, really?

Tonight, I received my answer. I went to the chiropractor (as I do twice a week because it makes the pain tolerable) this evening. I love this chiropractor. He specializes in prenatal sciatica because he's fascinated with pregnant women. Plus, he's very good at what he does.

Anyhow, he started beating on my lower back - like shoving around my pelvis. OUCH! What was he trying to do? Rotate it 180 degrees? I let him know that it was uncomfortable, but he kept on going. Long story short - my pelvis is severely tipped, which is aggravating the nerve.

My pelvis is TIPPED? Yup - this baby boy has TIPPED my pelvis off kilter. This begged the question of how bad my sciatica really was. These are his EXACT words:

"Your sciatica compares to those of elderly women who have severe arthritic scoliosis, and those who have been in very serious car accidents. I don't see prenatal sciatica like this often. In fact, the last time I saw it was 8 years ago with my wife. You have it bad."

There you have it. But holy cow!!! I have the lower back of an elderly woman with scoliosis and arthritis??? No wonder this thing hurts. Good thing for a husband with big, strong hands, and parents with a pool.

0 comments: