Thursday, September 11, 2008

10 best BRAIN foods

About 2 years ago, my school sent me to a conference in San Francisco to learn about the latest brain research. I was then to use some of my learnings and apply them to my in-classroom instruction. I was given money to buy a few books, which I became addicted to (and recommended to my principal to have all the teachers read). I am completely fascinated with brain research, the adolescent brain, and how it all ties to learning. As a biology teacher, I knew I would put everything I learned in to use...and I did. The conference made me a better teacher.

The conference I went to was put on by Eric Jensen, one of the leading brain-based educational instructors in the world. He has the leading scientific experts join him at his conferences to teach us how the brain works, and then he teaches us how to use that information and apply it to teaching.

One thing that I took away, I will never forget. It's the top 10 foods that are best for brain development, function, and learning. I didn't allow eating in my classroom until I heard this list. Then I allowed kids to bring in any of the following to munch on.

They are (in no particular order):

1. Blueberries
2. Broccoli
3. Spinach
4. Salmon
5. Walnuts
6. Tomatoes
7. Bananas
8. Yogurt
9. Olive oil
10. Brown bread

I actually had a child come in with salmon chips! I now incorporate these foods almost daily in our meal plan, and especially for our growing daughter.

Now, this list is VERY close to the top 10 HEALTHIEST foods. There is a difference, and one item on the 10 healthiest foods that I was definitely not expecting to be there. Stay tuned for that list...

2 comments:

Adrian said...

I can hardly take the suspense! Seriously though, that's really interesting! I actually eat about half of that list everyday. Maybe my baby will be really smart! I'm impressed with your weightloss and love your ever changing background!

Johnson-n-Johnson said...

Congrats once again on the weight loss! You are doing amazing! Keep it up. Maybe I can get inspired to join weight watchers! you are awesome!