Monday, September 15, 2008

New Resolve




Has anyone else ever been in the "frumpy mom" mode? You know... the one where you wake up with your children, stay in your yoga pants all day with your hair out of sorts, and don't dare leave the house because you feel icky?

I'm sure I'm not alone!

The day-to-day activities can get a little tedious.

And then I remember that I chose this. I chose not to work so I could do these wonderful day-to-day activities!

"Women do not have to sacrifice personhood if they are mothers. They do not have to sacrifice motherhood in order to be persons. Liberation was meant to expand women's opportunities, not to limit them. The self-esteem that has been found in new pursuits can also be found in mothering." -- Elaine Heffner

Today, I did 4 loads of laundry.

Today, I steamed 11 of my sweet husband's work shirts.

Today, I played with my daughter and niece and nephew. We read books, danced to a "Silly Songs" CD that Parker (my nephew) LOVES, put together puzzles, napped, and ate lunch with silly hats on.

Today, I gently cleaned my 3 month old niece (in the sink) after a diaper blow-out.

Today, I cooked a delicious dinner of salmon, salad, and melon fruits.

Each and every one of those tasks is so important!

But today, I made a new resolve. How can I be a good wife and mother if I don't take care of myself first?

Tomorrow, I am going to wake up at 6:30 am, take a shower, get dressed, put a little make-up on, read my scriptures, and eat a good breakfast. Once I have taken care of myself, I can then listen for my beautiful daughter to awake and take care of her. I have found that I have a much more productive day when I am dressed and ready for the day. If we don't take care of ourselves first, how can we expect to take care of our families? I am going to love that hour in the morning, all to myself, to greet my day.

PS - I'm really not as overwhelmed as that cartoon shows - I just thought it was funny.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I know exactly what you are talking about! I am the same way! So if you ever stop over at my house and I look like that-you'll know why!!!

Carlie said...

i know what you mean. it reminds me of one of the last conference talks that said to take time for yourself since one cannot draw water from an empty well.
it's a good reminder to think, yes, i CHOSE this. this was what we are sacraficing for.

Anonymous said...

Amen!