Thursday, March 13, 2008

And so it begins...


Yesterday, something amazing happened. Sariah had her first real temper tantrum. How old is she, again? 8 months old on Sunday. It makes me a little worried about when she's two...

Jared started his last quarter last night. This means that 2 days out of the week, he is gone from 8am until 11pm. He was gone, so it was just Sariah and I, and I was feeding her dinner. When she's in her high chair, there's straps that can buckle her in. With me sitting there with her, and the tray on the high chair, there was no need for the buckles. This meant there was a strap for her to play with...and stick in her spaghetti-covered mouth. She reaches for the strap, and I gently take it away from her and say, "We don't eat the straps. They will get yucky." She scrunches up her face, starts to cry, and reaches for it again. I take it away again and explain why. Then, I place my hand under the tray and cover it up so she can't even see it. That did it! She spit her food all over me (not intentionally because babies don't have that cognitive ability yet), tried to move my hand, and started to scream. She would have nothing to do with her dinner until she could have the strap. Every 3 or 4 seconds, she would open her eyes and look down. When she saw my hand was still there, she lit in to it again! She would kick her legs, arch her back, purse her lips, furrow her brows, and yell. After 30 seconds of this (which seems like FOREVER), I gave her the spoon to play with, and got another one. The strap was forgotten, and all was well!

I'll say it again. If this is happening now, at 8 months, I'm a little fearful of when she's two...

3 comments:

The Wilkes said...

Life starts to get interesting now! She'll keep you on your toes!

Matthew and Courtney said...

You mean that cute, perfect little angel of a niece I have did that - I don't believe it!!

Carlie said...

i love it! it's funny to read it with someone else's baby, but definitely frustrating for the mom.