Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Student comments that make me laught out loud

One of the things I am going to miss the most about teaching 7th graders is their comments and questions. Once in a while, someone will say something that will make me laugh out loud. They are such wonderful kids and I am going to miss them! Here is one of those times...

One of my students was incredibly generous to donate a tank full of beautiful fish! It's all set up and adds something fun to look at in my classroom. One of the fish is pregnant, with an obvious bulging belly. When a fish becomes pregnant, they are put into a special breeding tank so when she has her babies (this fish gives live birth), the other fish won't eat them. It's a little floating box inside the tank to hold the mother and babies. It looks like this:


The pregnant mother is in there, just waiting to pop! One of my 7th grade boys walks in, looks at the tank, and promptly asks why we're keeping her hostage. I told him that she's pregnant and needs to be kept away from the other fish until she has her babies. He says, "Oh. Pregnant. What's that?"

Oh dear...we're going to have to cover more during the human reproduction unit than I thought!! Of course, it was completely out of context. After he was thoroughly made fun of by the entire class, he stubbornly stood his ground by saying he knows what pregnancy is and that's not what he meant. Suuuuuure Alec.

1 comments:

Olivia Larsen said...

that was so funny mrs franklin. i really liked the way you described it!